Chocolate Chunk Hot Cross Buns
These Chocolate Chunk Hot Cross Buns are super easy to make and so delicious.
Kids love baking these delicious Chocolate Chunk Hot Cross Buns
I love baking these easy hot cross buns with my kids. The chocolatey goodness and warmth of these buns are perfect for winter!
- 3 cups (375g) bread flour
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (3g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2g) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1g) ground ginger
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 15 g fresh yeast (1 tsp active dry yeast)
- 3 tbsp (40g) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (120ml) lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (70g) raisins
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate, cut into chunks
For the crosses
- 5 tbsp (40g) flour
- 3-4 tbsp (45-60 ml) water
- 2 tbsp Apricot Jam
- In a large bowl whisk together flour with sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a small bowl stir fresh yeast with 1 tsp sugar until it liquefies.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup milk and then add to the flour mixture.
- Add the butter, egg, vanilla, rest of milk and water and start kneading until soft and smooth and slightly pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for about 1-1.5 hours at room temperature (warm space) until doubled in size.
- Incorporate raisins and chocolate into the dough, cover and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface turn the dough out and divide into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into balls. Place the dough balls into a parchment paper lined baking sheet and cover with an oiled plastic wrap. Let them rest again for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- In a bowl combine flour with water to form a thick paste.
- Transfer into a piping bag fitted with a 3 mm small tip.
- Pipe crosses onto buns.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush the buns with warm apricot jam right after you take them out of the oven.